My recipe for duck in tamarind sauce

Duck Breast in Tamarind Sauce - Ped Yang Makam

This dish was inspired by a visit to one of my favourite Thai restaurants, Lanna Thai in Canterbury. I loved it so much I had to work out how to recreate it at home.  After much trial and error I believe I have perfected it.  I hope you enjoy it as much as me. 

You will need:

2 Duck breasts with the skin on
2 banana shallots
2 spring onions


for the marinade
1 star anise
2-3cm cinnamon stick
1tbsp coriander seeds
1 garlic clove
2 thai shallots
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp Chinese rice wine

Put all the ingredients into a pestle and mortar and work into a paste.
Slash the skin of the duck breasts, about 1-2cm apart, and then rub the marinade into the breasts and leave to marinade for a few hours.

for the sauce

1 dsp tamarind paste
3 dsp fish sauce
4 dsp palm sugar
3 dsp of sweet chilli sauce
150ml water

Put all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil, simmer for 10-15 mins until you achieve thick syrupy texture.

to assemble the dish

In another pan take the banana shallots, which you have thinly sliced into rings, and fry in oil until crispy.  Drain on kitchen paper.

Fry the duck breast in a hot dry pan, skin side down until the skin is nice and crispy.  Once the skin in crispy turn the breasts over and cook until the duck is done to your liking, I like mine pink.

Slice the duck and place in a serving dish, pour over the sauce and sprinkle with the crispy shallots and chopped spring onions.

Enjoy!

Comments