My recipe for Enchiladas

Enchiladas - My way!




Now, I have to confess, that I use a kit as a starter, but I tweak it.  After cooking this half a dozen times, and it becoming a family favourite, here's my version of Old El Paso's Cheesy Baked Enchiladas.


You will need:


Old El Paso Cheesy Baked Enchilada Kit
3 Red Onions
Mushrooms
300g Mushrooms
Tin chopped tomatoes
300g Cheese
Bunch fresh coriander
Sour cream to serve



Take 3 red onions and fry them until golden.

In a separate pan, fry cubed chicken and mushrooms until they gain a colour.

Follow the instructions on the packet and mix the seasoning, tomato sauce and water and pour half into the chicken and mushrooms and add a tin of chopped tomatoes. Simmer until reduced.

Cover the bottom of your serving dish with half of the onions.

Add half the cheese (notice I've doubled it from what the kit suggests) and mix.  Then spoon into the tortillas and place them over the onions.

Spoon over the rest of the sauce, onions and cheese and bake for 20 mins or until the cheese is golden.

Sprinkle liberally with chopped coriander and serve with sour cream and an ice cold Mexican beer with a lime in the top or ice cold margarita. 




This recipe works just as well with minced beef instead of chicken.  In fact I prefer it but my kids prefer chicken.

For a vegetarian option try mixed beans, like Heinz 5 beans,peppers and mushrooms.

Comments