1 chicken - 3 meals!

1 Chicken - 3 Meals

Those of you who know me, know how I love my chickens.
I've kept chickens for a long time now and I love their different characters and the individual cheekiness   Most of all, you can't beat a fresh egg, especially when you know where that egg has come from and what the chicken has been eating and how it has been treated.  My love has chickens has developed into a collecting addiction.  My kitchen is full of lots of chicken related items; ornaments, pictures, egg cups, mugs, toast rack, clock, signs, money box, salt and pepper shaker ... I told you it was a addiction!

Anyway, the point is that the quality of the chicken I buy and cook matters to me.  I always aim to buy free range, or at least a chicken with higher welfare standards such as RSPCA Freedom Food.  Now, money is tight at the moment and good chicken costs a lot of money, so it important to make it stretch so it fits your budget.

So here's an idea how to be frugal with your feathered friend.

Sunday - Roast Chicken

Cook a roast chicken with roast potatoes and honey roast vegetables.  I roast a mixture of carrot, parsnip, red onion and garlic in olive oil with a sprinkle of salt.  10 minutes before the veg are ready add a generous amount of honey and return to the oven until the veg is golden and sticky.
Now don't scrimp on the veg as you need plenty of leftovers for Monday's supper.

Monday - Lush Leftovers!

Strip the chicken carcass of all the leftover meat, chop all your potatoes and vegetables into bite size pieces and set aside.

Then fry garlic, onion and chorizo in olive oil with anything else you fancy that you have in the fridge. Once they have browned a little, add the leftover veg and chicken, add salt and pepper to taste and fry until crispy and golden.  Top with a fried egg! (laid by my lovely chucks or if you don't know me buy a good quality free range or organic egg, preferably from a local, trusted supplier).

Make Chicken stock and Chicken Soup

Take your carcass and place in a large saucepan, cover with boiling water, add veg and herbs/spices to suit.
There are lots of different recipes for stock online, here are a few
Jamie Oliver http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/easy-chicken-stock
Nigel Slater http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/leftoverroastchicken_92286
Anthony Worrall Thompson http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/homemadechickenstock_71470

Then why not make Chicken Noodle Soup or Chicken Soup and Dumplings, especially as the Jewish call it Jewish Penicillin.

If you're a bit fed up with chicken by this point then simply freeze the stock to us another day.

More information about chicken welfare see this handy fact sheet from Jamie Oliver.

Comments